A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE 31ST EDITION OF THE NATIONAL HIGHER INSTITUTION CONVENTION OF MUSLIM STUDENTS (NHICOMS) FROM 23RD TO 26TH SHA’BAN, 1439 A.H (THURSDAY 10TH TO SUNDAY 13TH MAY, 2018) HELD AT COLLEGE OF EDUCATION MINNA, NIGER STATE
As part of the annual program of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) ‘A’ Zone (19 Northern states and Abuja), the NHICOMS is an avenue expected to cater for exposing the students in Higher Institutions to reading, writing, public speaking as well as carrying out research on how to publish papers of an international standard.
The 31st edition of the NHICOMS with theme: “Knowledge integration; A key to Rejuvenation of our Valued System”, that convened at the College of Education, Minna from 23rd to 26th Sha’ban 1439 (that is, Thursday 10th to Sunday 13th May, 2018) enjoined the participation of 280 delegates across 20 Area Units of the Zone. The program featured among others paper presentations, debate competitions, impromptu speech, ta’limaat, MAGACO session as well as lecture presentations.
The program was graced by: Malam Bashir Umar Yankuzo, Chief Imam: Federal University of Technology Minna; Malam Ibrahim Yabagi Alfa, Registrar: College of Education Minna; Dr Hussaini Muhammad; Bro Jameel Muhammad Jameel, National Amir: Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria; Malam Shehu Usman, Former Vice President International; Bro. Ishaq Muhammad Ishiyaku, Zonal Chairman: ‘A’ Zone; Dr. Ahmad Shehu, Former Secretary-General: MSSN as well as personalities within Niger State.
After series of presentations, brainstorming, deliberations and discussions, the following resolutions were reached:
1. The Society urges all its members to take whatever they do with all sense of seriousness and responsibility so as to be good ambassadors of Islam where ever they find themselves.
2. The Society encourages the value of quality education rather than mere certification.
3. Mentor/Mentee relationships should be improved in our campuses to ensure the revival of MSSN activism.
4. MSSN is favorably placed in ensuring a value-oriented Nigeria beyond free and fair elections through the encouragement of the participation in electioneering process and sponsorship of grass root programs like anti-drug abuse campaigns, massive leadership training, etc.
5. Members should ensure the acquisition of their permanent voter’s cards to exercise their constitutional rights for the selection of capable leaders.
6. The Society encourages the participation of Higher Institution Students at other levels of MSSN especially at the Area Units and Area Councils and not just limiting themselves to the Branches.
7. The community and the government should share the responsibility of revitalization of our academic institutions.
8. Insurgency in Nigeria negatively affects all, therefore the hands of both elites and the masses must be on deck to fight the monster.
9. The Society finally calls on the Muslim Ummah to maximize the utilization of their time during Ramadan so as to attain Allah’s favor and to fervently pray for the nation and its leadership.
Appreciation goes to all those who contributed in one way or the other in making sure the NHICOMS program is successful; thus we pray that Allah (SWT) accept the effort as an act of Ibadah and may we all return to our destinations safely.
Mal. Ishaq Muhammad Ishiyaku, Mal. Rabiu Barau Bal, Zonal Chairman. Zonal NHICOMS Coordinator