New leaders have been appointed to direct the affairs of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Obafemi Awolowo University branch, Ile-Ife for the 2016/2017 academic session.
The new executives are:
1. Amir – Okunade Abideen (Microbiology, 400L)
2. Naibul Amir – Uthman Toyeeb (Education Biology, 400L)
3. Amirah – Adam Maryam (Management and Accounting, 400L)
4. Naibatul Amirah – Bakare Zainab (Science and Technology Education, 200L)
5. Islamic Affairs Secretary – Hammed Jamiu (Agricultural Extension, 200L)
6. General Secretary – Oladeji Toyeeb (Management and Accounting, 300L)
7. Assistant General Secretary – Sanni Nafees (Chemical Engineering, 200L)
8. Financial Secretary – Abdur-Rafiu Murtadha (Quantity Surveying, 500L)
9. Public Relations Officer – Tajudeen Qasim (Agricultural Economics, 200L)
10. Assistant Public Relations Officer (Male) – Adedeji Najeemdeen (Arts and Social Education, 200L)
11. Assistant Public Relations Officer (Female) – Adeoti Maryam (Economics, 400L)
12. Welfare Officer (Male) – Aderinto Ibraheem (Computer Science, 200L)
13. Welfare Officer (Female) – Adam Zainab (Zoology, 300L)
14. Secondary School Coordinator – Fatunmise Akeem (Botany, 400L)
15. Director of Studies – Ayankeye Ismaila (Education English, 400L)
The executives emerged through a Shura system and in pursuant to section 8 (1) of the MSSN Constitution 2011 as amended says, “At every level of the Society, appointment of officers shall be by Shura.”
This was contained in a press statement made available by the officials of the MSSN OAU.
The Shura committee was constituted by the leadership of Idowu Akeem O. for the appointment of MSSN OAU Executive for the 2016/2017 academic session.
“The Shura Committee was chaired by Ogundipe Yusuff, a student of the department of Education Political Science, who work hand in hand with the MSSN Higher Hierarchies and other stakeholders. Having fulfilled all the Society constitutional requirements, the students emerged as the newly appointed executive for the 2016/2017 session,” it added.
The handing over ceremony which was held at the Obafemi Awolowo University Central Mosque by 10.00am on Sunday 19th March, 2017 was a laudable one in recent times in the history of MSSN OAU Branch.
The Secretariat and Financial reports for the 2015/2016 session were presesented, while the outgoing Amir responded to questions from members after the presentations. The executive for the 2015/2016 session was thereafter dissolved.
The formal inauguration of the newly appointed executive council was carried out by the MSSN B-Zone General Secretary – AbdulWasiu Akinbode.
He administered the oath of office for the newly appointed executive as it is required by the MSSN B-Zone Bye-law Article Eight: “The Zonal Coordinator or his representative shall conduct the oath of office for the executive officer of the society from the Branches to Area Units in the B-Zone. In attendance were, the Amir, MSSN Oranmiyan Area Council – Qasim Hussein and other higher MSSN hierarchies’ representatives.
The occassion was graced by Dr. S. A. Bello of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, OAU, who is one of the MSSN OAU Staff Advisers.
“This inauguration ushered in MSSN OAU branch executive for 2016/2017 session. Thus, these are the sets of students that the public should deal with in matters concerning MSSN OAU henceforth,” the statement added.